Tuesday 21 April 2015

  I've been meaning to write another blog post for awhile now. Having this blog was supposed to be a way to keep me writing regularly, apparently that’s not working. Like a lot of writers I have good days and bad days. Last night I managed to get 2000 words out after dinner for the book I’m writing. Which was nice, considering I did not make any progress last week. I thought I would try the same tonight. As you might have guessed, because I’m sitting here writing this, that means I’m not getting my words down for my book. I don’t know what it is, perhaps I’m simply not trying hard enough. Last night the words were coming out easily enough, tonight the  words aren't coming out. Maybe I’m focusing too much on writing the book in a linear fashion? When I have trouble with a scene I can’t keep writing the book until I continue that scene.
  This might not be the most efficient way to write a book. But like all new writers, I really don’t know what I’m doing. I remember when I started writing this book—which wasn't all that long ago—I figured by now I’d have a better idea of where the story was going, I figured I’d have a better idea of how to write it. It’s understandable that those skills can’t be gained in a matter of months.

  What I’m trying to say is writing is hard, but don’t think that means I’m about to give up. One nice thing I have to say is that I just surpassed the word count for the first Harry Potter novel. I’ve been using that for a benchmark, even though I know mine is probably going to run about a hundred thousand words at least. Whether or not I end up condensing that, or evening building upon it when I get to editing, I’ll find out.
  As long as I don’t go past 120k or lower than 80k, I’ll be happy.

  I also haven’t been keeping a journal. This is something I kind of want to do, and I might make the excuse that I don’t have enough time. When I say that what I really mean is I don’t make the time. This is a distinction I really need to understand when it comes to myself and time management. I have to be one of the worst people when it comes to time management.

  Also one thing I noticed, just as an aside, when I type quickly I really pound the keys. Like, whack, whack, whack, that’s what I’m doing right now. It’s a good thing I don’t have a type writer, I’d make a mighty racket. The neighbors would complain every time the muse visited (I’m still waiting for the muse to visit).

  So I’m not sure what I’m trying to say in this post. It’s really just a semi rant about the fact that I’m not writing enough, which is something I know I can change. This might be an excuse to get my fingers taping at the keys. Maybe I can trick them into automatically writing more of the book after this is done.

  Here’s hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment